Chocolate Lava Cakes
These individual chocolate cakes have a soft center of chocolate fudge that erupts in a rich, dark puddle from the warm cakes. They're best served just out of the oven.
Chocolate Lava Filling
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped or semisweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup hot coffee or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Cocoa powder for the tops
- Ice cream or custard sauce for serving
- Chocolate Lava Filling: Line a plastic ice cube tray with a large piece of plastic wrap.
With your fingers, gently poke the plastic down into eight of the cubes so they
are fully lined with plastic.
- Melt the chocolate with the cream and corn syrup; whisk until smooth. Add the
vanilla extract; set aside to cool until tepid.
- Fill the eight lined ice cube cups with the chocolate; freeze at least 4 hours,
or cover and freeze up to a month.
- Cakes: Place rack in center of oven and heat to 425 degrees F. Generously
butter eight 4-ounce souffle dishes or ramekins. Place them on a jellyroll pan.
- Melt the chocolate with the coffee. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Cream the butter with 1/3 cup sugar with an electric
mixer until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing
well after each addition. Stop the mixer and stir in the chocolate mixture. Fold
in the flour and salt with a spatula. Beat the egg whites with a clean mixer until
they hold soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar, one tablespoon at a time, mixing
well after each addition. Continue beating until thick and glossy. Thoroughly mix
one quarter of the beaten egg whites into chocolate batter; gently fold in the rest.
- Fill each prepared souffle dish about halfway full with the chocolate batter.
Gently bury a frozen chocolate cube in the center of each; add remaining batter,
filling cups almost to the top. Bake until cakes are puffy and set, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Gently loosen from the sides of the dishes and invert onto serving plates. Sift
Posted by dizzybreez at Recipe Goldmine May 1, 2001.