Chocolate Mascarpone Dirt Cakes
This isn't your average dirt cake made with a cake mix. It's a very creamy more adult version.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 8 ounces Wisconsin mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate wafer cookies, crushed, to make 1/2 cup crumbles (9-10 cookies)
- Gummy worms
- Melt chocolate in microwave in brief intervals or in double boiler. Set aside
and let cool to room temperature.
- In bowl of electric mixer, combine heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar. Whip
on low speed, increasing speed gradually to medium and high speeds, beating until
stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Transfer to another bowl; set aside.
- In mixer bowl, beat mascarpone until smooth. Do not overbeat. Add melted chocolate
and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- With spatula, gently fold in half the whipped cream into mascarpone chocolate
mixture to combine. Fold in remaining half of whipped cream.
- In small serving cups or jars, place a gummy worm or 2 in bottom of each dish;
leave 1 or 2 partially hanging over edges. Spoon or pipe chocolate mixture into
each dish. Top with crushed chocolate wafer cookies.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 6 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.