Gushing Mocha Java-Lava Cakes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter and flour four 6-ounce custard cups.
- Mix cream and espresso powder in small saucepan. Bring to simmering over medium-low
heat, stirring to dissolve powder.
- Add butter and chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract and flour.
- Beat eggs and sugar in bowl on high until light and fluffy, 2 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into cups. Place in 9-inch square pan.
- Bake for about 12
minutes or just until cakes are set and instant-read thermometer inserted in cakes
registers 160 degrees F.
- With oven mitts, remove pan from oven. Remove cups from
pan. Let stand 1 minute.
- Run small spatula around side of each cup. Invert cakes onto individual dessert
plates. Remove cups. (Unmold immediately or cakes will stick.) Leave cups over cakes
to keep warm, if desired.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Serving size: 4
Source: Family Circle