Little Red Velvet Cakes
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1 pound) box confectioners' sugar
- Cakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. With spray, coat 6 (4- to 4 1/2-inch diameter) nonstick individual springform pans; dust with flour; tap out excess.
- In bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In small cup, dissolve cocoa powder in food coloring.
- In 1-quart bowl, mix buttermilk, vinegar, baking soda and vanilla extract.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, then cocoa mixture. At low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture with buttermilk mixture until blended. Spread in pans.
- Bake 22 minutes, until wooden pick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans on rack.
- Cut around top edges of cakes to loosen; remove sides of pans.
- Invert cakes on rack; remove pan bottoms. Re-invert cakes.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until no lumps remain and frosting is spreadable.
- With serrated knife, split cakes horizontally. Fill and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Refrigerate cakes until frosting is firm.
- Garnish with sour fruit candies, if desired.
- Cakes can be refrigerated in airtight container up to 2 days before serving.
Per serving: Makes 6 cakes, 12 servings. Per serving: 583 calories, 6 g protein,
85 g carbohydrate, 25 g fat, 1 g fiber, 103 mg cholesterol, 341 mg sodium
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Miniature Cake Recipes