Martha Grimes' Fairy Cakes
These are the Fairy Cakes that were mentioned often in the Martha Grimes' mysteries.
Substitute "angel" for "fairy" and you have the perfect holiday party treat. Instead of dyeing the filling pink and green, it would also be pretty to leave it natural, then dust with gold sprinkles or colored sugar crystals.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring, as needed
- To make cakes: Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (12-cup, 1 1/2-inch) muffin tins (to make 24 cakes). Set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick.
- Fold in flour mixture gently.
- Add melted butter and hot water. Blend thoroughly, using spoon. Divide mixture into muffin tins.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- To make filling: While whipping the cream with an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, gradually add sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until the texture of shaving cream. If desired, divide mixture and stir in food coloring.
- To assemble cakes: With a sharp, pointed knife, cut away risen area from the top of each cake and set aside (do not discard).
- Fill hole with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Cut reserved top sections in half to form "wings." Place wings on top of cream and you have fairy cakes.
Yield: 24 cakes