Miniature Lemon Custard Cakes
Make this the day before you plan to serve it.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 8 ounces angel food cake, thinly sliced
- Combine the butter and sugar in the top of a double boiler. Cook and stir over
medium-high heat until well mixed and the butter is melted.
- Add lemon juice and grated zest, and mix well.
- Combine eggs and egg whites, and beat until frothy. Add to sugar mixture and
cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow
to cool slightly.
- Distribute one-third of the cake slices among the bottoms of eight glass dishes.
Cover with 1/3 of the lemon sauce.
- Repeat layers two more times, ending with a layer of lemon sauce on top.
- Cover each dish tightly, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours
or overnight before serving.
Yield: 8 servings