Molten Chocolate-Cherry Cakes
These little Molten Chocolate-Cherry Cakes are perfect to serve on Valentine's Day for a very special dessert. When you cut into them, chocolate comes "oozing" out, so good! Remember, it is very important to serve these cakes warm from the oven.
Tip: For make-ahead convenience, prepare the cakes but do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, then bake as directed.
Chocolate Dipped Cherries
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening*
* Do not use butter, butter, spread or oil)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6 ounces/170 g) butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- Chocolate Dipped Cherries: Prepare Chocolate Dipped Cherries. Drain 6 maraschino cherries with stems. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) for 45 seconds. Stir until chips are melted.
- Dip cherries into chocolate mixture. Place on wax paper-lined tray.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Cakes: Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease six 3/4-cup souffle dishes or 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle inside of each with some of the 1 tablespoon sugar. Place dishes in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or a jellyroll pan.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Whisk in cocoa, 1/3 cup sugar, whipping cream and vanilla extract. Whisk in flour just until combined. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in large bowl on high speed of mixer about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture on medium speed. Pour about 1/4 cup into each prepared dish. Sprinkle chopped cherries evenly over each. Carefully pour remaining chocolate mixture into each dish.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or just until top of each cake looks dry. (Do not over-bake.) Let stand in dishes 3 minutes. Loosen sides of each. Invert onto serving plates.
- Serve warm topped with sweetened whipped cream and a Chocolate Dipped Cherry.
Yield: 6 molten cakes
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.