Rainbow or Neapolitan Cookies
Traditional during the end of year holidays, we like to serve these at special
occasions year round.
This festive “cookie” is really a cake. Like many classic petit fours, Neapolitans
are thin layers of rich butter cake sandwiched with jam. Almond Paste in the batter
keeps the cake moist for a week or more at room temperature, a month or more when
Don’t be daunted by what appears to be a complicated cake. Now that smaller baking
sheets (9 x 13 inches) are available, it is easy to make uniform shaped layers.
Divide the work into two stages. Make the cakes and layer them on one day. Ice and
cut them another. A rich chocolate coating is traditional in bakeries where these
Rainbow Cookies are sold. Chocolate fudge icing would also work well.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (10-ounce) can Love’n Bake® Almond Paste
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 sticks (14 ounces) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 6 whole eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Green and red food coloring, as needed
- 2 cups raspberry jam
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped or chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line three 9 x 13-inch baking sheets with
parchment paper. Grease the edges of the pan. Set aside.
- Spoon the Love’n Bake® Almond Paste into the bowl of a food processor. Add the
sugar and process until the mixture is evenly blended.
- Cream the butter and the almond paste mixture in the bowl of a mixer fitted with
the paddle attachment until fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and almond extract. Stir
in the flour on slow speed. The mixture will be very stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Stir one
third of the whites into the batter to lighten it. Then fold in the remaining whites.
- Divide the batter evenly into three bowls. Using a scale will ensure that each
pan has an equal amount of batter. Tint one batch a pale green and the second a
pale pink using the food coloring as required. (4 to 6 drops of liquid coloring
works well.) Leave the third batch plain.
- Spread each batch of batter evenly into each of the prepared pans. Use an off-set
spatula to spread out the stiff batter into an even layer.
- Bake the cakes on the center rack in the oven until set and just lightly brown
around the edges, about 8 to 12 minutes. Invert the cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- As soon as the cakes are cool enough to handle, remove the parchment paper. Slide
the green cake layer onto a half-sized baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Spread
the cake with a thin layer of the raspberry jam. Place the plain cake layer on top
of the jam-coated layer then spread it with another layer of raspberry jam. Place
the pink-tinted layer on top. Spread this top layer with more raspberry jam.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap. Place a baking sheet on top of the cake and
weight it with some cans then place in the refrigerator overnight.
- To frost the cake, place the chocolate and vegetable oil in a bowl set over simmering
water. Allow it to melt stirring frequently until the chocolate is smooth.
- Uncover the cake and coat it with the melted chocolate. Using a decorating comb
or fork, draw parallel lines on the surface of the chocolate. Allow the chocolate
to cool and harden. Cut the cake into 4 even strips. Then cut each strip into uniform
pieces measuring about 1-inch each.
Yield: about 4 dozen cakes
Rainbow or Neapolitan Cookies with a Marzipan Layer: Before frosting
the cake, place the contents of one can of Love’n Bake® Marzipan on a work surface
lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Roll the marzipan using a rolling pin dusted
with powdered sugar out into a 9 x13-inch rectangle. Carefully transfer the marzipan
sheet on top of the pink cake layer. Proceed to coat the cake and cut as described
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Love'n Bake® - ingredients from American Almond Products
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Miniature Cake Recipes