Sunken Raspberry Cakes with Raspberry Sauce
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (175 g)
- 1/3 cup butter (75 mL)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (150 mL)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted (25 mL)
- 1 cup raspberry sorbet (250 mL)
- 1 package (300 g) frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup water (75 mL)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (25 mL)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (5 mL)
- Cakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Grease eight 6 ounce (175 mL) ramekins; line bottoms with parchment paper. Set
- In large bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with butter
until smooth; set aside.
- In another heatproof bowl over saucepan of gently simmering water, whisk egg
yolks with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until light
and thickened, about 8 minutes. Fold one-quarter into chocolate mixture; fold in
remaining yolk mixture. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in remaining sugar,
2 tablespoons (25 mL) at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold cocoa and one-third
of the egg whites into chocolate mixture; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoons into
prepared ramekins. Bake in center of oven until puffed and edges are set, about
- (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
- Invert cakes onto dessert plates; remove paper. Garnish each plate with raspberry
sauce; top with scoop of raspberry sorbet.
- Raspberry Sauce: In blender or food processor; pulse together raspberries, water,
sugar and lemon juice until smooth; press through fine sieve to remove seeds. (Make-ahead:
Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 week.)
8 servings; 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sauce
Source: Canadian Living Test Kitchen