Texas Pete Red Velvet Cones
A double dose of spicy with hot sauce both in the cones and the icing!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 48 small, flat-bottomed ice cream cones
Cream Cheese Icing
- 36 ounces cream cheese, softened - 4 1/2 (8-ounce) packages
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce
- Piping bag with small decorative tip
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cake Cones: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt
and cocoa powder.
- In another large bowl whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring,
Texas Pete Hot Sauce and vanilla extract.
- Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until
just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the ice cream cones, filling them 2/3 of the
way up to give them room to rise in the oven. Arrange the cones on a parchment-lined
sheet tray standing up and place them into the oven to bake at 350 degrees F for
approximately 15 to 20 minutes, or until they have fully risen. They are ready when
a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely.
- While the cakes are in the oven, prepare the spicy cream cheese frosting.
- Cream Cheese Icing: Place the softened cream cheese and the softened butter in
a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar
and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth again. Add the vanilla extract
and the Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce and whisk one more minute. You may add more
powdered sugar or Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce until the icing is flavored to your
- Place the spicy cream cheese frosting into a piping bag with a small decorative
- Using the tip of the piping bag, carefully puncture a small hole into the center
of the top of the red velvet cake and pipe approximately 2 to 3 tablespoons of the
spicy cream cheese into the center of the cake, allowing some of the cream cheese
to come out of the top for decoration. Continue until all the red velvet cake cones
are filled. Use any extra cream cheese icing to frost the tops of the cones.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Yield: 48 cones
For more unique summer recipes visit texaspete.com/recipes.
Recipe and photograph provided by www.texaspete.com through Brandpoint Content.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Miniature Cake Recipes