Strawberry-Rhubarb Angel Food Cake
This cake is best if served the same day it is made.
- 1 angel food cake mix (or use a ready-made cake)
- 2 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange plus its grated peel
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- Red food color
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Mint leaves (garnish)
- Combine rhubarb and the juice of one orange (juice should equal at least
1/4 cup liquid - if additional liquid is needed, add water to make 1/4 cup).
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, cover and cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender.
- Set aside 1/2 cup sliced strawberries. Stir remaining strawberries into
- Stir in a few drops red food color for eye appeal. Cool. Mixture will begin
to thicken slightly.
- Slice cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Spoon 1/2 the filling on bottom
cake layer. Add second layer cake and spoon on remaining filling. Place top
layer on cake.
- Chill cream well, then whip until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat together ricotta cheese, 4 tablespoons sugar and the grated peel of
one orange. Beat until fluffy.
- Fold whipped cream into whipped ricotta cheese.
- Frost the sides and top of cake with whip cream mixture.
- Garnish with remaining strawberry slices and mint leaves.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.