Strawberry-Rhubarb Angel Food Cake
This cake is best if served the same day it is made.
- 1 angel food cake mix (or use a ready-made cake)
- 2 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange plus its grated peel
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- Red food color
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Mint leaves (garnish)
- Combine rhubarb and the juice of one orange (juice should equal at least
1/4 cup liquid - if additional liquid is needed, add water to make 1/4 cup).
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, cover and cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender.
- Set aside 1/2 cup sliced strawberries. Stir remaining strawberries into
- Stir in a few drops red food color for eye appeal. Cool. Mixture will begin
to thicken slightly.
- Slice cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Spoon 1/2 the filling on bottom
cake layer. Add second layer cake and spoon on remaining filling. Place top
layer on cake.
- Chill cream well, then whip until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat together ricotta cheese, 4 tablespoons sugar and the grated peel of
one orange. Beat until fluffy.
- Fold whipped cream into whipped ricotta cheese.
- Frost the sides and top of cake with whip cream mixture.
- Garnish with remaining strawberry slices and mint leaves.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.