Almond Butter Loaves
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds (for garnish)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 x 5 x
3 inch (23 x 12 x 7 cm) loaf pans.
- For crust, combine brown sugar and 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter in large bowl.
Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Stir in toasted almonds and flour. Blend well.
- Divide and press evenly into pans.
- For cake, combine cake mix, eggs, 2/3 cup (150 mL) water and 1/2 cup (125
mL) butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden
pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto cooling racks, crust-side up.
- Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water
and almond extract in small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Add water, 1 teaspoon (5 mL) at a time, until glaze is desired consistency.
- Spoon over cooled loaves.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds over top.
Makes two loaves (16 slices).