Almond Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package plain yellow cake mix
tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Set
aside an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- For the crust, place the cake mix, melted butter, egg, and almonds in a
large mixing bowl. Blend with mixer on low speed for 2 minutes. The batter should
come together in a ball.
- With your fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan,
smoothing it out with your fingers until the top is smooth. Set the pan aside.
- For the filling, place the cream cheese in the same mixing bowl that was
used to make the crust, and with the same beaters (no need to clean either)
blend on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, almond extract, and melted butter and beat on medium speed
for 1 minute.
- Add the confectioners' sugar. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is
well incorporated, 1 minute more.
- Pour the filling onto the crust and spread so that the filling covers the
entire surface and reaches the sides of the pan.
- Place in oven.
- Bake the cake until it is well browned but the center still jiggles when
you shake the pan, 45 to 47 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place on wire rack to cool, 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Store this cake, covered in foil, at room temperature for up to 4 days
or in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Or freeze it wrapped in foil, for up to 6 months.
Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Posted by CookingForUs at Recipe Goldmine 7/19/01 5:08:47 am.
Source: Posted by Bunny Girl on 7/19/2000.