- 1 1/2 cups chopped almonds, toasted and divided
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix, without pudding
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cake: Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch stem or Bundt pan;
sprinkle 1 cup almonds over the bottom and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, amaretto
and almond extract. Beat on low speed with electric mixer about 30 seconds until
dry ingredients are moistened.
- Increase speed to medium and beat 4 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup almonds.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour.
- Cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes before removing.
- Cool completely and place on cake plate.
- Glaze: In small saucepan, combine sugar, water and butter and bring
to boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- Stir in amaretto and almond extract.
- Punch holes in cake from top to bottom with wooden pick.
- Slowly spoon glaze over top until entirely absorbed.
Makes 16 servings.