Applesauce Cake with Butter-Rum Glaze
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Butter Rum Glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rum flavor
- 3 - 4 teaspoons milk or half-and-half
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8-inch square pan.
- Cake: In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over medium heat. Cook for
2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until butter begins to brown. Immediately
remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in applesauce mixture.
- Pour into pan. Bake 30 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Butter Rum Glaze: In 1 1/2-quart saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Cook
for 2 - 3 minutes until beginning to brown.
- Immediately remove from heat. Stir in remaining glaze ingredients until
smooth and spreadable. Pour over warm cake.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Source: Betty Crocker Fall Baking booklet
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.