Butterscotch Pear Cake
Brown Sugar Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (29 ounce) can pear halves
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reserved pear syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butterscotch morsels
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped pears
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Brown Sugar Cream: Whip cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract. Continue whipping until stiff peaks
- Cake: Drain pears, reserving 1/4 cup syrup. Chop pears to equal 1 cup for
filling. Slice remaining pears for garnish.
- Beat cake mix, milk, eggs and pudding mix until well blended.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in pans, then turn out on racks to cool completely.
- Put cake layers together with half filling mix and spread remainder on top.
- Frost the sides of the cake with Brown Sugar Cream.
- Garnish top with reserved pears.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, cream, reserved pear syrup, butterscotch
morsels and egg in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped pears, coconut and nuts. Chill.