Candy Apple Cake
- 1 cup red-hot cinnamon candies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apple juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick
- In a large saucepan, combine the cinnamon candies, sugar, 1/2 cup apple
juice and food color. Heat over high heat, stirring until candies dissolve.
- Add apples and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 to 7 minutes,
or until the apples are tender; spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream and the
remaining 1/2 cup apple juice; mix well and spoon over the apple mixture, spreading
to completely cover.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center
comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then invert over a serving platter. Allow to cool
- Cut into squares and serve.