This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- Mix cake batter according to package directions.
- Bake the cake batter according to the package directions for two 9-inch
round layers; let cool, then remove from the pans.
- Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, chocolate
chips, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon; mix well, then
cover and chill.
- In a small bowl, combine the rum, water and the remaining 2 tablespoons
granulated sugar; mix, then set aside.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter and drizzle with the rum mixture.
Cover with the ricotta cheese mixture and top with the second layer.
- In a medium size bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat the heavy
cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake with the whipped cream and sprinkle
the top and sides with the toasted almonds.
- Cover loosely and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
* To toast the almonds, place them on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer
and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 1 to 2 minutes, just until golden.
They toast VERY quickly, so watch them carefully to avoid burning.