Cherry Brickle Coffee Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) packages almond brickle pieces
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup silvered almonds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 to 5 teaspoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, except stir in one package
of the almond brickle pieces.
- Turn mixture into prepared pan.
- Spoon pie filling over cake batter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter
- Stir in almonds and remaining brickle pieces; sprinkle half of the mixture
evenly over pie filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with remaining brickle mixture and bake for about 30 minutes more or
until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes on wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and enough of the water for a drizzling
consistency; spoon over cake.
- Serve warm or cool.
Makes 15 servings.