Chocolate-Almond Mousse Cake
Turn a simple cake mix into an elegant layer cake with a creamy filling.
This pretty cake only looks complicated; it's actually a snap to put together.
It looks elegant on the dessert table and it serves a crowd.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix with pudding
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups whipping (heavy) cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted*
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan with nonstick cooking
spray. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper; spray paper with cooking spray.
- Make cake mix as directed on box using water, oil and eggs. Pour batter
into sprayed paper-lined pan.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto wire rack; remove pan and paper. Cool completely, about
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat. Stir in almond extract. Cool 10 minutes or until slightly
cooled. Gently stir cooled chocolate into whipped cream.
- Trim edges of cake. Cut cake lengthwise into 2 long layers. Place 1 layer
on serving platter. Spread with 1/3 of mousse.
- Repeat with remaining cake layer and 1/3 of mousse.
- Place remaining 1/3 of mousse in pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe border
around bottom and top of cake. Decorate top of cake with mousse rosettes. Sprinkle
top with almonds.
- Store in refrigerator.
Prep Time: 50 Min | Yield: 16 servings
* To toast almonds, place them on cookie sheet and shake to form a uniform thin
layer. Bake at 350 degrees F about 7 minutes or until they are just golden. For
even toasting, shake the pan once or twice during baking.
Bake the cake in advance, let it cool, cut as directed in the recipe and wrap
tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Seal it in a food-storage freezer plastic bag
and freeze it up to three days. Prepare the mousse one day in advance. Early in
the day, assemble the frozen cake with the chilled mousse; cover and refrigerate.
Remove the dessert from the refrigerator one hour before serving.
Nutritional Information 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 460 (Calories from
Fat 300), Total Fat 33g (Saturated Fat 16g, Cholesterol 95mg; Sodium 250mg; Total
Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 26g), Protein 4g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 10.00%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Fruit; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 6 1/2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.