This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chocolate Buttermallow Cake
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 square unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup Marshmallow Creme
- Cake: Bake cake mix in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan as directed on the box. Let
- Spread Butterscotch Filling over top of cooled cake to within 1/2 inch of
- Sprinkle nuts over filling.
- Frost sides and top of cake with Marshmallow Frosting.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate; dip back of spoon into chocolate to form swirls
- Butterscotch Filling: In a medium saucepan, mix brown sugar and flour. Gradually
stir in cream. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; blend in butter or margarine and vanilla extract. Cool.
- Marshmallow Frosting: In the top of a double boiler, combine egg whites,
sugar, cream of tartar, corn syrup and water. Place over boiling water; beat
until stiff peaks form, scraping pan occasionally.
- Remove from heat; add Marshmallow Creme. Beat until of spreading consistency.