This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chocolate Cafe au Lait Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food or chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1/3 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, or in a 1-quart glass bowl
in a microwave oven on HIGH for 1 to 1 1/4 minutes.
- Stir in Graham cracker crumbs and let cool.
- When cool, stir in chocolate chips and walnuts; set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Turn batter into prepared
- Sprinkle crumb-walnut-chocolate chip mixture over cake batter, dividing
evenly between pans. Using fingertips or back of a spoon, lightly press mixture
into batter (crumb mixture should not sink all the way into batter.)
- Bake cake as package directs (30 to 35 minutes), or until cake tester inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven; let cool completely in pans before unmolding. Keep
layers crumb side up.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream, coffee powder and confectioners' sugar
with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
- Place one cooled cake layer, crumb side up, on a serving plate.
- Spread three quarters of whipped cream mixture over cake.
- Top with remaining cake layer, crumb side up.
- Frost sides of cake with remaining whipped cream; do not frost top of cake.
- Refrigerate until serving time.