Chocolate Italian Cream Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 8 ounces non-dairy whipped topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake pan.
- Prepare cake as per package instructions using 3 eggs and 1/3 cup oil; pour
into prepared pan and set aside.
- Combine ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl;
mix until thoroughly combined. Pour over cake batter. Swirl through the batter
with a knife.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out
- Remove from oven; let cool down and transfer to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, combine chocolate pudding mix and non-dairy whipped topping;
beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Refrigerate pudding mixture.
- Cover cake with pudding mixture.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until serving time.
Tip: For baking purposes, when buying ricotta cheese in a plastic container,
it is best to take the following precautions in order to not end up with a soggy
cake: In a small skillet over very low heat, add ricotta. Once the cheese has shed
its excess liquid, discard liquid. Wrap ricotta in cheesecloth and place over a
bowl. Ricotta is ready for baking once it has stopped dripping.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.