Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
Created by a university professor of music, this easy-to-prepare cake is spectacular
to serve and marvelous to eat! It's best if made a few hours ahead and refrigerated
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) pkg. Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme™ Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 pecan halves, if desired
- 16 chocolate curls, if desired
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In small heavy saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown
sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into two 9 or 8-inch round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat at low speed
until moistened. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when
touched lightly in center.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool for 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- In small bowl, beat 1 3/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread
with half of whipped cream.
- Top with second layer, praline side up; spread top with remaining whipped
- Garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls.
- Store in refrigerator.
prep time 25 min | servings 16
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1/16 of Recipe Calories 460 Calories from
Fat 270 Total Fat 30g Saturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 95mg Sodium 340mg Total Carbohydrate
43g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 32g Protein 4g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 10% Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Fruit; 6 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Pillsbury