Chocolate Turtle Cake
No wonder this is a bake sale winner! Devil's food cake sandwiches caramel,
pecans and, yes, more chocolate in the middle. Yum.
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (6 ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- Ice cream or whipped cream, if desired
- Caramel and chocolate topping, if desired
- Chopped pecans, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease
or spray bottom of 13 x 9-inch pan.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on
low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour half of the batter into pan. Bake 22 minutes (25 minutes for dark or
nonstick pan). Refrigerate remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat caramels and evaporated milk over medium
heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted.
- Stir in pecans. Pour caramel mixture over warm cake in pan. Sprinkle with
chocolate chips. Spread with remaining batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes (29 minutes for dark or nonstick pan) or until cake
springs back when lightly touched. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream, drizzle with topping and sprinkle with pecans.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Yield: 20 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): In step 3, bake 30 minutes (34 minutes for dark
or nonstick pan).
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 150); Total
Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 270mg; Total
Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 28g); Protein 4g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
This recipe is just part of the grand-prize winning entry of the Trinity Lutheran
Church Women of Birchwood, Wisconsin, in Betty Crocker's 1999 national Bake
Sales Competition for nonprofit organizations that hold bake sales as a means of
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Betty Crocker2008/TM General Mills
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.