Chocolate Walnut Praline Cake
The chocolate ganache, Cointreau and walnut praline will transform your package
of chocolate fudge cake mix into an elegant dessert in no time. Your guests will
wonder when you had time to bake such a decadent dessert during the busy holiday
- 1 package two-layer chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 cups California walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur
- Cake: Bake cake in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan according to package instructions.
Grease a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Praline: In saucepan bring water and sugar to boil over medium heat. Cook, without
stirring, brushing down sides of pan with a brush dipped in warm water to prevent
crystallization. Cook for about 18 minutes, until dark amber.
- Remove from heat immediately and stir in cream and walnuts. Spread onto
prepared sheet and cool completely.
- Break into pieces and pulse in food processor until coarsely ground.
- Ganache: In microwavable bowl, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter. Heat on
high for 2 minutes, stirring twice, until melted and smooth.
- Slice cake in half lengthwise and then slice each half to make 4 layers
that measure 4.5 x 12-inches.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of Cointreau on the bottom layer of cake.
- Spread 1/4 cup of chocolate ganache and sprinkle with 1/3 cup praline.
- Repeat twice; top with last layer of cake.
- Cover cake with remaining ganache and cover sides with praline.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and up to one day before serving.
Total time 2 hr 10 min | Cook time 1 hr 40 min | Serves 12
Nutrition: 750 Calories fat 45g Saturated fat 15g Monounsaturated fat 12g
polyunsaturated fat 17g Cholesterol 35mg Sodium 370mg Carbohydrates 88g Dietary
Fiber 5g Protein 9g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Walnut Board