Recipes Made with Cake Mixes
Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cake
Here's a special-occasion dessert they'll never forget, complete with ultra-rich chocolate cake and glaze, and finished with cherries on top.
Prep: 25 min | Bake: 55 min | Yield: 12 servings
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (from 12 ounce bag)
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (from 14 ounce can)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® chocolate fudge cake mix*
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 (4 serving size) box chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained on paper towel, chopped (3/4 cup)
- Remaining sweetened condensed milk (from 14 ounce can)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (from 12 ounce bag)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon milk, if needed
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease with shortening and lightly flour** a 12 cup fluted tube cake pan.
- In medium microwavable bowl, mix filling ingredients. Microwave on HIGH for 25 to 35 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted and smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat cake mix, water, oil, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, the eggs and pudding mix on low speed about 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly.
- With rubber spatula, fold in cherries.
- Spoon batter into pan; spread evenly.
- Carefully spoon filling into ring over batter (do not let filling touch side of pan).
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted 1 inch from inside edge of pan comes out clean, top of cake feels firm to the touch and cake pulls away slightly from side of pan.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place heatproof serving plate over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. Cool cake completely, about 1 hour.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat all glaze ingredients except 1 teaspoon milk over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in up to 1 teaspoon milk if necessary for glazing consistency.
- Pour glaze over cake, allowing some to drizzle down sides.
- If desired, garnish cake with white chocolate curls and whole cherries.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
* 18.25 ounce boxes of cake mix have been replaced by 16.5 ounce and 15.25 ounce boxes. To compensate for the volume loss in a 16 ounce box, whisk 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour into the dry cake mix before proceeding with the recipe. To compensate for the volume loss in a 15.25 ounce box, add 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.
** For best results, use our Pan Release!
To freeze the cake 1 to 2 weeks ahead, make, cool and glaze the cake. Freeze it for about an hour, then cover the cake tightly and freeze for up to 2 weeks. To thaw, unwrap the cake and allow it to stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Garnish, if desired.
To make white chocolate curls, pull a vegetable peeler against the long side of the bottom of a block of vanilla-flavored candy coating (almond bark). If the curls break, place the block in a warm place for about 20 minutes to soften it for better curls.
Per serving: Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 530mg; Total Carbohydrate 85g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 65g), Protein 8g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 15.00%; Iron 15.00%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 5 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 5 1/2