Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cake
Here's a special-occasion dessert they'll never forget, complete with
ultra-rich chocolate cake and glaze, and finished with cherries on top.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (from 12-ounce bag)
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (from 14-ounce can)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 box (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained on paper towel, chopped (3/4 cup)
- Remaining sweetened condensed milk (from 14-ounce can)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (from 12-ounce bag)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon milk, if needed
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease with shortening and lightly flour 12-cup
fluted tube cake pan.
- Filling: In medium microwavable bowl, mix filling ingredients. Microwave on High
25 to 35 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted and smooth; set aside.
- Cake: In large bowl with electric mixer, beat cake mix, water, oil, 1/2 teaspoon
almond extract, the eggs and pudding mix on low speed about 1 minute, scraping
- With rubber spatula, fold in cherries.
- Spoon batter into pan; spread evenly.
- Carefully spoon filling into ring over batter (do not let filling touch
side of pan).
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted 1 inch from inside
edge of pan comes out clean, top of cake feels firm to the touch and cake pulls
away slightly from side of pan.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place heatproof serving plate over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove
pan. Cool cake completely, about 1 hour.
- Glaze: In 1-quart saucepan, heat all glaze ingredients except 1 teaspoon milk over
medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture
- Stir in up to 1 teaspoon milk if necessary for glazing consistency.
- Pour glaze over cake, allowing some to drizzle down sides.
- If desired, garnish cake with white chocolate curls and whole cherries.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Prep time 25 min | Total time 2 hr 20 \mMin | Servings 12
To freeze the cake 1 to 2 weeks ahead, make, cool and glaze the cake. Freeze
it for about an hour, then cover the cake tightly and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
To thaw, unwrap the cake and allow it to stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
Garnish, if desired.
To make white chocolate curls, pull a vegetable peeler against the long side
of the bottom of a block of vanilla-flavored candy coating (almond bark). If the
curls break, place the block in a warm place for about 20 minutes to soften it for
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 600 (Calories from
Fat 230), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium
530mg; Total Carbohydrate 85g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 65g), Protein 8g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 15.00%; Iron
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 5 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 5 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Betty Crocker/©2011 General Mills
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.