Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
Strawberry cake is jam-packed with flavor from tangy strawberry gelatin to rich
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- 1 (4-serving size) box strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint (2 cups) medium-large strawberries (18 to 20 strawberries)
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening or vegetable oil
Filling and Frosting
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 (1 pound) container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy milk chocolate frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease
bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with shortening and lightly
flour, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- Cake: In large bowl, mix cake mix and gelatin.
- Beat in water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (batter will
be lumpy). Pour into pans.
- Bake as directed on box for 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Dipped Strawberries: Meanwhile, gently rinse strawberries and dry on paper towels (berries must
be completely dry).
- Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt vanilla baking chips and shortening over low heat,
stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Dip lower half of each strawberry into vanilla chip mixture; allow excess
to drip back into saucepan. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate
until coating is firm, about 30 minutes, or until serving time.
- Split each cake horizontally into 2 layers.
- On serving plate, place top of 1 layer, cut side up; spread with 1/3 cup
of the jam.
- Add bottom half of layer, cut side down; spread with 1/3 cup jam.
- Add top of second layer, cut side up; spread with remaining 1/3 cup jam.
- Add bottom of remaining layer.
- Frost side and top of cake with frosting.
- Arrange dipped strawberries around top of cake.
- Store in refrigerator.
Prep time 15 Min | 4 Total time 2 Hr | Servings 16
Split the layers by pulling a piece of unflavored dental floss or heavy thread
horizontally through the middle of the layer, moving floss in a back-and-forth motion.
Skip the dipped strawberries and just serve a fresh strawberry with each cake
If using oil rather than shortening when making dipped strawberries, garnish
the cake just before serving. The coating made with oil will soften quickly.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 420 (Calories from
Fat 140), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 2 1/2g), Cholesterol 40mg;
Sodium 350mg; Total Carbohydrate 67g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 49g), Protein 4g
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 3 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cake Mix Cake Recipes