Country Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 box Pillsbury Nut or Cranberry Quick Bread Mix
- 3 cups apple pie filling (from two 21-ounce cans)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking
- In a large bowl, combine oil and egg; beat well.
- Add bread mix, apple pie filling, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir 50 to 75 strokes,
until mix is moistened.
- Stir in chopped walnuts. Spoon into the sprayed pan; spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Sauce.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan, mix sugars, butter and cream. Bring to a boil,
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- To serve, cut warm cake into squares and place on individual dessert plates.
- Top each serving with warm sauce and, if desired, ice cream or whipped cream.