This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Ding Dong Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 1/4 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch springform
- Cake: In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant pudding. Make
a well in the center and pour in the eggs, oil and water. Mix until well blended.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick
inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- Slice a 1-inch thick slice off of the top of the cake and set aside. Scoop
out the cake for the center of the bottom part to within 1 inch of the sides.
Discard or save for another use.
- Filling: Whisk together the flour and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once the flour and milk mixture has cooled, beat the 1/2 cup shortening,
butter, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk mixture and continue to beat for 4 more minutes.
- Spoon into the center of the cake and replace the layer sliced from the
- Glaze: Combine the chocolate chips, 1/4 cup shortening, corn syrup and water
in the top of a double boiler. Heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth.
- Pour warm glaze over the top of the cake and smooth over the sides.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.