Dolly Varden Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) white cake mix
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 (18.25 ounce) spice cake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup currants, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped citron
- Toasted coconut (for garnish)
- Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
- Lots of frosty white cake frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare batter for the white cake mix, following package directions.
- Chop maraschino cherries and drain well on paper toweling.
- Fold into white cake batter.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place contents of spice cake mix in bowl. Stir in nutmeg and cardamom. Then
proceed, following package directions.
- Fold in walnuts, currants and citron. Mix well.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- When cakes are cool, prepare your favorite fluffy white frosting, making
more than enough for just one cake.
- Put cake together, alternating white and spice layers, with frosting between
layers and on top and sides.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top and garnish with whole maraschino cherries.
Serves 12 to 14.