Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus 8 more tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted,
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick melted butter,
and stir until well blended. Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer,
and add the confectioners' sugar. Continue beating until ingredients are
- Slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter and the vanilla extract,
continuing to beat the mixture until smooth.
- Stir in nuts with a rubber spatula.
- Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake the cake; the center
should still be a little gooey when finished baking.
- Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting.