You cannot test for doneness, as the cake will appear sticky even when it is done. The icing sinks into the batter as it bakes, forming the white ribbon inside.
- 1 small can coconut
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) German chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 box confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle coconut and pecans in bottom of a lightly greased 16 x 11-inch pan.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the box. Pour over coconut and pecans.
- Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Spoon large spoonsful over cake.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.