Giant Ding Dong Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 small box chocolate instant pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 1/4 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch springform works
- Cake: Combine all cake ingredients and mix well.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick tests clean. Let the cake cool.
- Carefully slice off the top 1/2 inch of the cake and set aside. Scoop out
the inside of the cake to 1/2 inch of the sides and save for another use.
- Filling: Combine the milk and flour and heat, stirring constantly,
until thickened. (It will be very thick.) Cool the flour-milk mixture completely.
- Beat the remaining ingredients on high speed for 4 minutes.
- Add cooled flour-milk mixture and beat an additional 4 minutes. Spoon into
center of cake. Replace the top.
- Glaze: Heat the glaze ingredients in a double boiler. Heat until melted, stirring.
- Slowly pour the glaze over the top of the cake. Smooth a little of the glaze
over the sides.
- Refrigerate to set.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.