Gooey Butter Cake
This is a quick version of this famous cake from St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Mix together the cake mix, 2 eggs and butter. Batter will be thick. Spread
batter into a 13 x 9-inch greased and floured pan.
- Blend remaining 2 eggs, all but 2 tablespoons of the confectioners'
sugar and cream cheese. Pour over batter.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle
the 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar on top.
- Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes longer. Do not over-bake or topping
will not be gooey.