Gooey Caramel-Pecan Cake
A rich, caramel-pecan filling peeks out from tender layers of chocolate cake.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ devil's food cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 container Betty Crocker™ Whipped chocolate frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease
two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for two 8-inch or 9-inch rounds.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat caramels, butter and whipping cream over medium heat
6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth.
(Or place caramels, butter and whipping cream in 4-cup glass measuring cup; microwave
uncovered on High 1 to 3 minutes, stirring once or twice.)
- Stir pecans into melted caramel.
- Cool for 30 to 45 minutes or until firm enough to spread without running over
edge of cake.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate, round side down. Spread with 1 cup of the pecan
filling. Top with second layer, round side up. Spread remaining pecan filling into
4- to 5-inch circle on top of cake. Spread chocolate frosting on rest of top and
side of cake.
- Store loosely covered.
Prep Time 30 min | Servings 12
Toasted slivered almonds, macadamia nuts or walnuts are all great substitutes
for the pecans.
To toast nuts, bake them uncovered in an ungreased shallow pan in a 350 degrees
F oven 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown. Or cook them in
an ungreased heavy skillet over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently
until browning begins, then stirring constantly until they’re light brown.
For a bakery special touch, gently press pecan halves around the frosted edge
on top of the cake.
Nutrition Information–Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 550 Calories from
Fat 290 Total Fat 32g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 1 1/2g Cholesterol 75mg Sodium
470mg Total Carbohydrate 60g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 38g Protein 5g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 10% Iron 15%
Exchanges:2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 6 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker