Orange Ombre Cake
The eye-catching trend of ombre has spread from fashion to desserts. In this
ombre cake, the cake layers as well as the frosting are tinted in gradations of
orange. It's a perfect cake for all sorts of celebrations.
- 1 (2-layer size) box white cake mix
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- McCormick® Yellow Food Color
- McCormick® Red Food Color
- 2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Cake: Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using whole eggs. Stir in extracts.
- Divide batter evenly into 3 medium bowls.
- Stir 24 drops (about 1/4 teaspoon) yellow food color and 12 drops red food
color into first bowl, tinting batter dark orange.
- Stir 10 drops yellow food color and 4 drops red food color into second bowl,
tinting batter medium orange.
- Stir 5 drops yellow food color and 1 drop red food color into third bowl,
tinting batter light orange.
- Pour each bowl of batter into separate greased and floured 8-inch round
- Bake as directed on package.
- Cool cakes on wire rack.
- Frosting: Beat butter and vanilla in large bowl until light and
fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating well after each addition
and scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently. Add milk; beat until light
- Place dark orange cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1/3 cup of frosting.
Top with medium orange cake layer. Spread with 1/3 cup of frosting. Top with
light orange cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with a thin layer of frosting.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, divide remaining frosting into 3 small bowls. Stir 12 drops yellow
food color and 6 drops red food color into first bowl, tinting frosting dark
orange. Stir 6 drops yellow food color and 3 drops red food color into second
bowl, tinting frosting medium orange. Stir 3 drops yellow food color and 1 drop
red food color into third bowl, tinting frosting light orange.
- Frost bottom third of cake with dark orange frosting. Frost middle third
of cake with medium orange frosting. Frost top third and top of cake with light
Serves: 16 | 45 min Prep time | 35 min Cook time
For easier measurement, 1/4 teaspoon Food Color = 20 to 25 drops
Nutrition information (Amount per serving) Calories: 590Cholesterol: 95mg
Sodium: 429mgProtein: 2g Total Fat: 30gFiber: 1g Carbohydrate: 78g
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.