Orange Pineapple Praline Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix with pudding
- 2 eggs
- Orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 (20 ounce) can well-drained canned crushed pineapple (reserve juice)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 maraschino cherries with stems
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare the cake mix as the package directs using the 2 eggs and substituting
orange juice for water listed in the directions.
- Stir in grated orange peel into the cake batter; turn one-fourth of the
cake batter into each pan; using a spoon, spread each half with half of the
- Spoon the remaining batter over the pineapple and place cake pans on the
center rack in the oven and bake for 30- 35 minutes or until surface springs
back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Prepare the praline topping: In a small bowl, toss coconut, brown sugar
and nuts with melted butter.
- At the end of the baking time, remove the layers from the oven.
- Spoon the praline mixture onto the surface of one layer; return to the oven
to bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Let the second layer cool slightly in pan and then transfer to a wire rack
to cool completely.
- Remove praline layer from oven. Cool slightly.
- Place a piece of foil about 12 inches square on the wire rack. Carefully
transfer to foil on the rack to cool completely. If praline mixture falls off
cake, sprinkle back on.
- Put heavy cream into a small bowl. Beat cream on high until stiff peaks
hold when beaters are lifted.
- Place plain layer on platter; spread with half the cream.
- Add the praline-topped layer.
- Frost sides with remaining whipped cream.
- Pipe whipped-cream rosettes on top and place cherries in the center of each
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serves 10 to 12.