Pecan Pie-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
Delight your guests with these delicious chocolate cupcakes made with Betty Crocker®
Super Moist® devil’s food and filled with pecan pie - perfect for dessert.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® Super Moist® devil’s food or other flavor cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Garnish, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 24 candied pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper
baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Cupcakes: Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make pecan pie filling and spiced-cream frosting.
- Pecan Pie Filling: In 2-quart saucepan,
combine granulated sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in corn syrup, melted
butter, salt and eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture
begins to boil; remove from heat.
- Stir in toasted pecans and vanilla extract.
- Let stand for 10 minutes; refrigerate for 1 hour or until thickened.
- Spiced-Cream Frosting: In 1-quart saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water to soften; let stand for 1 minute.
Heat over low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until cooled to room temperature.
- In chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on low speed,
slowly adding cooled gelatin. Increase speed to medium; beat until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Refrigerate until ready to frost cupcakes.
- To Fill and Frost Cupcakes: With melon baller, scoop out center of each cupcake
almost to bottom of cupcake; spoon 1 tablespoon pecan pie filling into cavity of
each. In 1-quart resealable food-storage plastic bag, cut 1/4-inch opening diagonally
across bottom corner of bag; fit 1/2-inch star tip in opening. Spoon spiced-cream
frosting into bag; seal bag. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes in circular motion.
- Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve.
- Garnish: Just before serving, sprinkle cinnamon over cupcakes and garnish each cupcake
with candied pecan.
- Store cupcakes loosely covered in refrigerator.
Prep Time: 40 min | Total Time: 2 hr 10 min| Servings: 24
If you have only one pan and a recipe calls for more cupcakes than your pan will
make, cover and refrigerate the rest of the batter while baking the first batch.
Cool the pan about 15 minutes, then bake the rest of the batter, adding 1 to 2 minutes
to the bake time.
To toast pecans, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pecans in ungreased shallow
pan. Bake uncovered 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown.
To make candied pecans, melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in 7-inch skillet over low
heat. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar. Add pecans; turn pecans several times to coat
with sugar mixture.
Candied pecans can also be purchased at the grocery store; look for them
in the bulk section or with the snack nuts.
Nutrition Information 1 Cupcake Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 240), Total
Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 95mg Sodium 270mg Total
Carbohydrate 40g (Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 23g), Protein 5g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 5 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):