Pink Lemonade Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest; divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped and drained maraschino cherries; about 25
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- Maraschino cherries with stems
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In bowl at low speed beat cake mix, egg whites, egg, 1 1/3 cups water, oil
and 1 tablespoon zest until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium;
beat for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Sprinkle top of batter in each pan with 1/4 cup chopped cherries.
- Bake for 32 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- In pot combine 2/3 cup water with sugar and lemon juice. Over high heat
bring mixture to boil; cook until syrupy, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from heat; reserve.
- Cool cake layers in pans on racks for 20 minutes; remove from pans.
- Return to racks set over paper towels.
- Using toothpick gently poke holes in cake tops.
- Brush lemon syrup over tops; cool completely.
- In bowl stir remaining zest into frosting and stir in food coloring to tint
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and sides of cake with remaining
- Garnish with cherries.
Yield: 16 servings
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 8/3/02 7:28:44 am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.