- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white or yellow cake mix
- 1 small box gelatin, any flavor
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 large container Cool Whip or desired frosting
- Bake cake as per instructions on box for a 13 x 9-inch cake.
- Leaving cake in pan, prick cake with a large, two-pronged fork at 1/2-inch
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
- Add cold water and spoon over cake.
- Chill cake in the pan for 4 hours.
- Dip pan in warm water for 10 seconds; unmold onto a serving plate.
- Frost with Cool Whip or desired frosting.
- Garnish as desired, and refrigerate.