This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Purple Ombre Layer Cake
A gorgeous monochromatic layer cake great for any occasion.
- 2 boxes Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix boxes
- Betty Crocker® purple neon gel food color
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray four 8- or 9-inch round cake pans
with baking spray with flour.
- Cake: Make cake batter as directed on boxes.
- Divide batter equally among 4 bowls. Add food color to make 4 different shades
of the same color.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake and cool as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat sugar and water to boiling. Cook to 245 degrees F on
- Frosting: n large bowl, beat eggs whites, cream of tartar and salt with electric
mixer on high speed until peaks form.
- Reduce speed to low; slowly pour sugar syrup into egg whites. Increase speed
to high; beat about 7 minutes or until sides of bowl are cool to the touch.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Spread 1 tablespoon frosting on cake plate to act as glue.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread with thin layer of frosting.
- Repeat to use all layers.
- Frost cake completely with remaining frosting.
Prep Time 30 min | Servings 8
Feel free to use any color that you desire. The possibilities are endless.
This cake is best eaten the same day it is made.
Recipe: Blogger Bree Hester of Baked Bree
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Betty Crocker