Southern 7-Up Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow or pineapple cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (12 ounce) can 7-Up, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 (No. 2) can crushed pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely broken pecans
- Beat all ingredients together well for 2 minutes with electric mixer.
- Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) layer pans or a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan that
has been greased and floured.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, if in layer pans, and remove from pans to cool thoroughly
on wire rack.
- Fill and frost.
- Filling: Combine first 6 ingredients and cook over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and pecans. Cool before spreading
between layers and over cake.
If using a 15 x 10-inch pan, leave cake in pan and spread frosting over