Speckled Banana Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix (NO PUDDING)
- 1 small box instant banana pudding
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cake: Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl and beat well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well, after each addition.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Pour mixture into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, checking after 45 minutes, or until cake tests
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan and finish cooling on a rack.
- Caramel Frosting: Combine the butter, milk and brown sugar in a saucepan, and bring
to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth and of spreading consistency.
Add more milk or confectioners' sugar as required if it is necessary to
bring it to the proper consistency.
Yield: 1 1/3 cups frosting