Strawberry Almond Cream Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow or angel food cake mix
- Almond extract to taste
- 1 small box vanilla or French vanilla regular pudding/pie filling mix
- 1 3/4 cups milk or reduced-fat or skim milk
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream or 2 cups thawed frozen non-dairy whipped topping
- Granulated sugar to taste
- 1 to 2 quarts firm ripe strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups heavy cream, chilled*
- About 1 to 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur or to taste, or about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Toasted sliced or slivered blanched almonds as desired for garnish
- Sprigs of mint for garnish (optional)
* or 1 (8 ounce) container thawed frozen non-dairy whipped topping or reduced-fat
or no-fat whipped topping
- Prepare yellow or angel food cake mix according to package directions.
- Divide batter into two greased (ungreased for angel food cake) or 8 or 9-inch
round layer pans, spreading evenly. Bake in a preheated oven according to package
directions for round layer pans.
- Cool thoroughly according to package directions.
- With a sharp serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally, resulting
in four (4) very thin cake layers.
- While cake layers are cooling, prepare pudding according to package directions,
using only 1 3/4 cups milk. Stir 1/4 cup amaretto or 1 teaspoon almond extract
into hot prepared pudding; cool pudding and then chill for 30 minutes.
- In a chilled deep medium bowl, beat cream with chilled beaters until soft
peaks are formed. Add sugar to taste, if desired.
- Fold whipped cream or 2 cups whipped topping into chilled pudding.
- Arrange one cake layer on a serving plate; spread a coating of one-third
of the pudding mixture over cake layer.
- Arrange a layer of sliced strawberries over pudding filling.
- Top with a second cake layer, then one-half the remaining pudding, and another
layer of sliced strawberries.
- Repeat process with third cake layer, then remaining pudding, and another
layer of strawberries.
- Top with the fourth (4th) cake layer. Set cake/torte aside.
- In a chilled deep medium bowl, beat 2 cups cream with chilled beaters until
soft peaks are formed. Gradually beat in sugar to taste and amaretto or almond
extract, if desired, until mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Evenly spread sweetened flavored whipped cream or whipped topping over top
and sides of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, decorate top of cake with additional sliced strawberries
and toasted almonds. Press additional almonds into topping around side of cake,
if desired. Garnish with sprigs of mint, if desired.
Whipped topping need not be sweetened as it is already sweetened. May add
amaretto or almond extract as desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.