Tangerine Ombre Cake
A gorgeous tangerine colored cake that is sure to impress!
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups fresh tangerine or orange juice
- 1 (4-serving size) box orange-flavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Orange gel food color
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 12 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh tangerine or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray four 8-inch round pans; place 8-inch
round piece cooking parchment paper in bottom of each pan. Grease or spray parchment
- In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients except food color on low speed 30 seconds,
then on high speed about 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Spoon and spread 1 1/2 cups of the batter into 1 pan.
- Divide remaining batter evenly among 3 small bowls (about 1 1/2 cups each).
- Add different amounts of food color to each to make different shades of the same
color. Stir each until color is well blended.
- Pour 1 bowl of batter into each of 3 remaining pans.
- Baking 2 pans at a time, bake for 22 to 26 minutes (refrigerate remaining pans
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans to cooling rack; remove parchment paper. Cool completely, about
- In large bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar with spoon or electric mixer on
low speed until blended.
- Stir in 3/4 cup tangerine juice and the vanilla. If frosting is too thick, beat
in more juice, a few drops at a time. If too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered
- To assemble, place deepest color cake layer on cake plate. Spread with 1/2 cup
- Stack layers from darkest to lightest, spreading 1/2 cup frosting between
layers. Thinly spread top and side of cake with 1 1/2 cups frosting to seal in crumbs.
- Divide remaining frosting among 4 small bowls. Add different amounts of food
color to each to make different shades of the same color to match cake layers.
- To frost, place each color in individual resealable food-storage plastic bag.
Cut 1/2 inch off 1 corner of each bag, and pipe each frosting on corresponding color
cake layer. Pipe a dot of frosting and use back of table spoon to spread frosting
horizontally around cake, with deepest color at bottom and working up to lighter
colors; repeat around cake slightly overlapping dots of frosting.
- To frost top, use remaining frosting as desired.
- Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Prep Time 60 min | Total Time 2 hr 10 min | Servings 16
Don’t have enough pans? Store batter covered in the refrigerator while baking
other layers. Cool pan completely before baking the next layer.
While frosting, scrape excess frosting from back of spoon into small bowl; spoon
back into plastic bag if necessary.
Nutrition Information–Serving Size: 1 Serving: Calories 770 (Calories from
% Daily Value Total Fat 30g 30% (Saturated Fat 16g,16% Trans Fat 1g 1%),
Cholesterol 110mg 110%; Sodium 450mg 450%; Total Carbohydrate 121g 121% (Dietary
Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 106g 106%), Protein 3g 3%
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 6%; Iron 4%
Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 7 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 6 Fat;
Carbohydrate Choices: 8
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cake Mix Cake Recipes