Tropical Snack Cake
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, packed in juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, optional
- 6 to 8 very ripe bananas*
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup orange marmalade, optional*
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white or yellow cake mix
- 1/2 to 1 cup pecan pieces*
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the butter into 4 pieces, and place in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave
on HIGH, covered with a paper towel, until the butter just melts, about 1 minute.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter. Spread the
pineapple (with its juice) evenly in the bottom of the prepared dish. If using
coconut, sprinkle it over the pineapple.
- Cut the bananas into slices about 1/4 inch thick, and place them evenly
over the dish.
- If using marmalade, microwave it for 30 seconds on HIGH to make it easier
to spread. Spoon the marmalade evenly over the fruit.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the fruit.
- Drizzle the melted butter and pecans evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden and bubbly.
Yield: 12 servings
* You can use frozen bananas, but do not thaw them or they'll turn to
mush. Just use a sharp knife and carefully slice the frozen bananas, and put them
into the dish. Orange marmalade adds zing, but you can omit it, or substitute 1/3
cup orange juice concentrate. Walnuts, almonds, cashews or macadamia pieces can
be substituted for pecans. Also, do not mix the cake mix according to the package
directions; egg and oil are not needed.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 351 calories (40% from fat),
16 grams fat (6 saturated), 21 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams protein, 51 grams
carbohydrates, 2 grams dietary fiber, 366 milligrams sodium