Tropical Snack Cake
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, packed in juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, optional
- 6 to 8 very ripe bananas*
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup orange marmalade, optional*
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white or yellow cake mix
- 1/2 to 1 cup pecan pieces*
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the butter into 4 pieces, and place in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave
on HIGH, covered with a paper towel, until the butter just melts, about 1 minute.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter. Spread the
pineapple (with its juice) evenly in the bottom of the prepared dish. If using
coconut, sprinkle it over the pineapple.
- Cut the bananas into slices about 1/4 inch thick, and place them evenly
over the dish.
- If using marmalade, microwave it for 30 seconds on HIGH to make it easier
to spread. Spoon the marmalade evenly over the fruit.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the fruit.
- Drizzle the melted butter and pecans evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden and bubbly.
Yield: 12 servings
* You can use frozen bananas, but do not thaw them or they'll turn to
mush. Just use a sharp knife and carefully slice the frozen bananas, and put them
into the dish. Orange marmalade adds zing, but you can omit it, or substitute 1/3
cup orange juice concentrate. Walnuts, almonds, cashews or macadamia pieces can
be substituted for pecans. Also, do not mix the cake mix according to the package
directions; egg and oil are not needed.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 351 calories (40% from fat),
16 grams fat (6 saturated), 21 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams protein, 51 grams
carbohydrates, 2 grams dietary fiber, 366 milligrams sodium
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.