This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1 (8 ounce) container COOL WHIP Whipped Topping (Do not thaw.)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 38 KRAFT Caramels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 6 ounces (3/4 of 8-ounce package) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 5 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided
- 16 NILLA Wafers
- 16 PLANTERS Pecan Halves
- Spoon half the COOL WHIP into bowl; refrigerate to thaw.
- Return remaining COOL WHIP to freezer.
- Prepare cake batter and bake as directed on package for 2 (9-inch) round
layers, adding dry pudding mix to cake mix before mixing with liquid ingredients.
- Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes; invert onto wire racks. Remove pans.
Cool cakes completely.
- Meanwhile, microwave caramels and water in microwaveable bowl on HIGH for
1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 45 seconds. Cool slightly.
- Beat cream cheese in large bowl with mixer until creamy.
- Add caramel sauce; mix well.
- Blend in thawed COOL WHIP.
- Stack cake layers on plate, filling and frosting top with cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Microwave frozen COOL WHIP and 3 chocolate squares in microwaveable bowl
3 minutes or until well blended, stirring after each minute.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining chocolate squares as directed on package.
- Dip half of each wafer into chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking
- Top with nuts.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread COOL WHIP mixture onto top of cake.
- Garnish with wafers.
- Keep refrigerated.
total time 1 hr 50 min | Prep 30 min | 16 servings
Variation: Substitute 13 x 9-inch pan for the round pans and increase baking
time to 35 to 38 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean; cool
completely. Continue as directed, spreading caramel mixture and chocolate mixture
over cake in pan.
For a more fudge-like texture, store cake in refrigerator overnight before serving.
Garnish with chocolate-dipped wafers just before serving.
Trim 40 calories, 3g of total fat, including 2g of saturated fat, per serving
by preparing with COOL WHIP LITE Whipped Topping, JELL-O Chocolate Fat Free Sugar
Free Instant Pudding, PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese and Reduced Fat NILLA Wafer.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):