Recipes Made with Cake Mixes
Cherry Spice Bars
Yield: 2 dozen bars
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box spice cake mix*
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain maraschino cherries; discard juice or save for another use. Cut cherries in half. Combine dry cake mix, melted butter, brown sugar, water and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix with a spoon or electric mixer until well combined and smooth. Stir in maraschino cherries. Spread batter into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; add enough milk to make a thick glaze. Drizzle glaze over cake. Allow glaze to set. Cut into bars.
- Store, up to one week, in an airtight container with sheets of wax paper between each layer of bars.
* 18.25 ounce boxes of cake mix have been replaced by 16.5 ounce and 15.25 ounce boxes. To compensate for the volume loss in a 16 ounce box, whisk 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour into the dry cake mix before proceeding with the recipe. To compensate for the volume loss in a 15.25 ounce box, add 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Cherry Growers Foundation