This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Cherry Spice Bars
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (18 1/4-ounce) spice cake mix
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bars: Drain maraschino cherries; discard juice or save for another use. Cut cherries
in half. Combine dry cake mix, melted butter, brown sugar, water and eggs in a large
mixing bowl; mix with a spoon or electric mixer until well combined and smooth.
Stir in maraschino cherries. Spread batter into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; add enough milk
to make a thick glaze. Drizzle glaze over cake. Allow glaze to set. Cut into bars.
- Store, up to one week, in an airtight container with sheets of wax paper between
each layer of bars.
Yield: 2 dozen bars
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Cherry Growers Foundation