Chocolate Almond Biscotti
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10 to 12 ounce) package vanilla or white chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, flour, butter,
chocolate syrup, eggs and extracts; mix well.
- Stir in the almonds
and miniature chocolate chips.
- Divide dough in half. On ungreased
baking sheets, shape each portion into a 12 x 2-inch log.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool
for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; carefully cut diagonally with a serrated
knife into 1/2-inch slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until firm.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, melt vanilla chips and
shortening. Drizzle over biscotti; let stand until hardened.
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen